4 QUESTIONS TO ASK BEFORE SELLING YOUR HOME
Selling your home is a big financial and emotional task, which requires lots of planning. So before you decide to put your home on the market, choose your Realtor, and consider these four questions.
WHAT IS MY HOME WORTH?
In a hurry? Click for an estimate
- Several factors go into determining your home’s market value. These include the condition of the property, square footage, location, amenities, as well as recent comparable property sales. For a snapshot of your home’s current value, you can enter your address into a free online value estimator tool.
- Online estimators are – by their own admission – typically off (up or down) by 8% – 20%. If you are seriously considering selling and interested in finding out the real value of your home enter your address and I’ll send you a market valuation within 24 hours!
HOW CAN I SELL AT THE HIGHEST PRICE POSSIBLE?
- There are several simple, low-cost things you can do to boost the value of your home. These include eliminating clutter, washing windows and walls, and installing higher wattage bulbs to create a brighter environment. Larger projects, like adding bedrooms and renovating kitchens and bathrooms, typically yield more substantial increases in sales price.Staging your home, which helps paint a picture for how buyers will use their new space, can also add value.
HOW LONG WILL MY HOME BE ON THE MARKET?
- The time your home spends on the market depends on several factors, including location, how competitively your home is priced, and how aggressively your home is marketed. Statistics show that if a home is properly priced, an offer should come in within the first 12 showings.
- Preparation is crucial – make sure your Realtor thoroughly understands the home’s strengths and weaknesses. I always do professional photography – it makes a huge impression if the home ‘pops’ online and in brochures. Insist on it! Review all of the paperwork – agreements, listing information, title documents – before going ‘live’, in order to be ready to respond fully and quickly to offers.
- If you want to speed up the sales process, don’t underestimate the value of staging. Research shows that well-staged homes can sell up to 32 percent faster than homes that aren’t staged.
INVESTOR LOOKING FOR 1031 EXCHANGE?
Yes, we can do that. Take a look at our post on 1031 Exchange opportunities in Boulder. A 1031 Exchange allows investors to use all of the proceeds of a sale to leverage into more valuable real estate, increase cash flow, diversify into other properties, reduce management or consolidate holdings. The rules are straightforward but must be followed to the letter. Talk to Frank – I have an excellent 1031 Intermediary I work with – together we can get you into or out of Boulder real estate unscathed
HOW CAN AN AGENT HELP?
- A real estate agent can help with all aspects of the selling process, from pricing to marketing to handling the intricacies of closing. I will negotiate on your behalf to secure the best price – and quickest sale – possible. My most valued designation, and one I use every day, is that of Certified Negotiation Expert. Let me put it to use for you. Looking for an agent who can help guide you through the selling process? Call Frank!